EU may consider all crypto as securities by default. Georgia will implement mandatory supervision of VASPs. Bitget becomes the first exchange to support an EVM-compatible address.
Stay up to date with the latest news on cryptocurrency and blockchain with our daily digest. We cover stories that may not make the headlines in mainstream crypto news. __________
- A study commissioned by lawmakers at the European Parliament suggests that crypto assets should be treated as securities by default. The study recommends that all crypto assets be deemed “transferable securities” unless exempted and requalified by National Competent Authorities using classification criteria developed with Markets in Crypto Assets tools.
- The National Bank of Georgia will begin mandatory supervision of virtual asset service providers (VASPs) from September 1 in order to combat money laundering, terrorist financing, and comply with sanctions.
- Bitget has become the first crypto exchange to support an Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)-compatible address. This feature allows traders to use a single address for multiple blockchains and to trade and store assets with one EVM-Compatible Address through multiple chains on the Bitget platform.
- Gemini has announced that it is seeking to acquire a crypto license to serve customers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), which it describes as a “forward-thinking, global financial hub” that is “establishing itself as a fast-emerging hub for crypto.”
- Crypto.com has received its Major Payment Institution (MPI) license for Digital Payment Token (DPT) services from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). This license allows Crypto.com to continue extending its Digital Payment Token (DPT) services to customers in Singapore.
- First Digital, a Hong Kong-based qualified custodian and registered trust company, has announced a new stablecoin called First Digital USD (FDUSD). The stablecoin is intended to be backed on a 1:1 basis by US dollars or assets of equivalent fair value, held in accounts of regulated financial institutions in Asia.
- Cowen Digital, the digital asset unit of investment bank Cowen, is shutting down. The team at Cowen Digital believes in the need for trusted counterparties who understand the needs of institutional investors, and will continue to fulfill that endeavor in a different home.
- Bitcoin miner CleanSpark has purchased 12,500 of Bitmain‘s new Antminer S19 XP mining rigs for a total price of $40.5 million. The machines are expected to be deployed across CleanSpark’s mining facilities.